This award, donated by Tony Eng, will be presented annually to:
“The Club magician who performs the most original close-up (or parlour) trick or routine.”
This is to be considered a special meeting event honouring the memory of Tony. Consideration should be given to inviting guests. The Club backdrop and possibly extra lighting should be used. Each act should be introduced by an MC.
1. The club Exec will decide which Club Meeting to dedicate to the competition and this will be published in the Newsletter and on the Club web site at least two months before the competition. In the past there has been an effort to hold the competition at the JAN Club Meeting so that the award can be made at the Magic Dinner.
2. The trick or routine must be close-up(or parlour)in nature and demonstrate distinct elements of originality in concept and/or presentation.
3. There must be a minimum of three performers for a valid competition.
4. The President will select three experienced Club members(a Head and two others) to judge the competition. Judging and scoring will be based on the following:
Presentation must be close-up (or parlour) in nature and demonstrate distinct elements of originality in concept and/or presentation. Consideration will be given to creativity and inventiveness in the presentation and content.
Handling of sleights, manipulation, secret moves, magic principles, technical skill, music/sound effects.
Deportment, use of volunteer/audience, evidence of a beginning, middle and an ending with fluidity throughout. Ability to recover if something goes wrong, use of the close-up(performing) area, visibility to and respect for audience, evidence of showmanship, timing of moves and or/effects for impact.
Diction, story line, use of significant language, and communication with audience.
AUDIENCE IMPACT 10%
Overall impression, sustaining the interest of the audience, strength of the magic and/or effect, entertainment value taking into account the type of audience present.
Consideration to presenting in a professional manner—choice of clothing, neatness, presence and/or attire reflecting the performer’s character.
AUDIENCE BALLOT 20%
The audience will be asked to vote by ballot on their favourite act.
5. The audience ballots will be collected and given to the judges’ panel. After judging is completed the winner may be announced by the Head judge or this could be delayed until the Magic Dinner.